This is probably one of the best cakes I ever made omnomnom (although the tiramisu we made yesterday comes close – recipe soon). Meringue + lemon cream + shortcrust pastry = perfection.
Jus Rol Sweet shortcrust pastry (I wanted it to be quick so I used a ready one – worked out delish)
170 ml lemon juice (about 4 medium lemons)
120 ml water
Lemon zest (2 lemons), finely grated
2 tbsp flour
100 g unsalted butter, chopped into small pieces80 g sugar
1 whole egg
3 egg yolks
4 egg whites
2 tsp flour
200 g sugar
1. Take chilled shortcrust out of the fridge and allow to cool down for about 35 minutes. Preheat oven to 190 C.
2. In the meantime, squeeze juice of 4 lemons into a small bowl and grate zest of 2 lemons. Pour juice into a small pot, add water, zest, flour and sugar. Stir well and bring to boil (the mixture should thicken a bit). Take the pot off the stove and add pieces of butter. stir energetically until all butter pieces melt. Add 1 egg and 4 yolks and combine quickly. The mixture should be thick be now but if it is not you can heat it gently over very low heat while continuously stirring. Cover cream with kitchen foil and put aside.
3. Spread a bit of butter on the bottom and sides of the pie tin. Roll out the shortcrust pastry and fit into the pie tin. Cover base with kitchen foil and place some pasta, rice or beans on top so that the base does not rise while in the oven. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, then remove foil and bake for another 8-10 minutes until golden.
4. While the base is in the oven prepare the meringue. Transfer the egg whites into a large bowl and mix with an electric mixer until light and fluffy (3-4 minutes). Then start adding 1 tbsp of sugar at a time to the foam and continue whisking until all sugar has been absorbed. Add the flour and mix well. At the end the mixture should be a bit thick and glossy.
5. Spread lemon cream on the baked base and top with the egg whites foam. Place in the oven for 20 min. (180 c) until the meringue is crispy from the outside. Check after about 13-15 min. to ensure the meringue does not burn as time might vary depending on the oven. Take out of the oven and let the tart cool down, preferable over night.
Inspired by Kwestia Smaku